5th May 2017 14:27pm
Charlton Athletic, in association with the Proud Valiants, will host the second annual Charlton v Homophobia tournament at The Valley on Sunday to help raise the profile of LGBTQI+ football.
This year’s event sees four LGBTQI+ friendly teams battle it out in a round robin 11-a-side tournament.
The tournament will begin with the Proud Valiants, Charlton’s supporters club for LGBTQI+ fans and allies, taking on Fans for Diversity. LGBT+ friendly football team Bexley Invicta will then take on last year’s winners, the University of Greenwich.
The full schedule of the day is:
· 12.00pm – Players and fans arrival at The Valley
· 12.20pm – Match 1 – Proud Valiants v Fans for Diversity
· 13.00pm – Match 2 – Bexley Invicta v University of Greenwich
· 13.40pm – Match 3 – Proud Valiants v University of Greenwich
· 14.20pm – Match 4 – Bexley Invicta v Fans for Diversity
· 15.00pm – Match 5 – University of Greenwich v Fans for Diversity
· 15:40pm – Match 6 – Proud Valiants v Bexley Invicta
· 16:10pm – Football End
· 16.15pm – Trophy Presentation; Speeches; Refreshments
This year’s tournament will again be supported by the Charlton Athletic Community Trust (CACT), the University of Greenwich, Kick it Out, Fans for Diversity and Football v Homophobia.
CACT deliver a wide range of programmes designed to promote equality and tackle discrimination, including issues relating to identity, gender and prejudice.
Tickets for the event are free and should be booked in advance at: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/proud-valiants-charlton-athletic-fc-13349815112